Saturday, January 14, 2006

Traffic School

Due to a sinus headache we didn't make it to Chidambarum today. So for a change of pace, we'll go to Traffic School. In a park near our hotel, one section is set aside to teach children about traffic and how to be safe. After my previous discussion of traffic in Pondicherry you will not be surprised if my comments are just a bit tongue-in-cheek.



Whoever initiated this project decided that the fear approach would work best. I understand this - it worked well in the 50's when I was growing up and is often a last resort today - for those parents not given to the current trend of reasoning (pleading) with a small being that has not quite become - well - reasonable yet. To make the most impact on the young mind, first they are introduced to the Traffic Demon.



Sobering sight isn't he? And huge! You may notice that his huge and hairy leg is resting on a small child. Why the child is white is a mystery. Some things were not meant to be figured out.



Wearing the symbols of his scary profession, the demon shows substantial enthusiasm for his work.



I don't believe the Grim Reaper stands a chance against this dude unless he gets some new rad duds and loses the scythe thing - it's so dated! At this point, having all wet their pants in fear, the little ones are all led around on the paths, learning the symbols and signs that pertain to traffic.



Many signs are posted on the path to remind the children of the rules of the road.



The middle sign above reads: Drive Carefully, Overtake from the Right, Walk on Foot Path, Always Remain in Your Lane, Always Wear Helmet While Driving. Then, one last scarey reminder...



Not sure how Santa came to be there. Maybe it's to soften the blow. The boy on crutches is missing a leg and the sign reads: "Before crossing the road if you don't look left and right, there will be nothing left to be right for you." Okay then.....message received.

I can be an accurate witness for you that no one in Pondy wears a helmet.......ever. As for always staying in your own lane? I don't believe anyone in the entire country does that one. Lanes are created and abandoned at will with two to three vehicles at a time jockeying for position in the same lane - and they may all be coming TOWARD you in your lane. And "Don't Ride With Children On Your Lap In Front Seat?" Most families don't have cars - they have motorcycles or scooters. The following pictures represent most families on scooters:



Plus, women sit sidesaddle on the back and are not supposed to be touching the men, so they hang on to the bottom of the seat, or onto the child in front of them. As for always staying on the footpath.... Most people walk in the street with the traffic as the foot paths are frequently under construction or blocked by bicycles and scooters. Sooooo, I think the children's park needs a little revision!



In a shocking change of pace, I will be talking about fiber tomorrow! 'Til then!

3 Comments:

At 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

El, How can those folks scare such gorgeous little kids? I would also wet myself if I saw that huge demon coming towards me. I do love your going to dinner salwar. You look so lovely in it. I hope you will have a fashion show when you get home so we can all come and drool. I am on a tree drawing spree right now hoping that will help me to eventually paint a decent look tree. By the way, how does one get beyond anonymous?
Ancora

 
At 1:36 AM, Blogger Linda 'K' said...

Hi Ancora - thanks for the kind words. Don't know how many outfits I'll come home with.... To not be anonymous, click on "Other" in the "Choose an identity" section below and then type in your name. It doesn't seem to have a way to show emails for people. Let me know if that doesn't work.

Linda "K"

 
At 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

El-ster Girlfriend, I have a theory about the traffic park: if the little ones are thoroughly frightened at an early enough age they'll become an integral part of the traffic/driving/pedestrian system as it works, instead of trying to fight it with common sense and courtesy, thereby screwing up the whole thing and causing unknown damage. I know that as a child I had the crap scared out of me by my brother when we were playing hide-and-seek in the dark, and I learned to be VERY careful when I was out by myself at night. heh. Just sayin'. And, QUESTION: why aren't the women suppose to touch the men when riding side-saddle behind them? Aren't these men their husbands or brothers? Just wonderin'. While we await your return, the news: Mary and I are getting along famously; Michele says hi to the whole Friday group - she misses us but is finding pleasure in her new home and recently bought some living room furniture, a first for them in the 16 years of their marriage. They've made a little fenced area for the Girls while they plan the 'real' chicken yard - she said the Girls were getting a bit cranky being in the coop 24/7 and are happy again; it's MLK day, traffic is light and phone-ringing practically non-existent. I may leave early and swing on over to Weaving Works for some quality time in a LYS. I need the Lace Leaf pattern of Evelyns' and I'm itching to get some lace knitting started. That would be a good one to kick off 2006 with, yes? Say Hi to your DH for us! Hug, Ar

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines http://rpc.bloglines.com/blogroll?html=1&id=dimsware@gmail.com