Thursday, January 17, 2008

Are We There Yet?

On our way back to the USA tomorrow and really looking forward to it. We've had a super-hardworking trip with no play (for Mr. Chirpgrindstone), and a lot of health issues to deal with along the way. I haven't blogged about them much because I agree with the Yarn Harlot, who put it so much better than I could have, "I've been trying not to complain, since I think personal whining on a blog is annoying and unflattering unless done really, really well...." and I would add - with a LOT of humor at personal expense. So we'll be back pretty soon and are determined to be well and rested before either of us sets out again. Since for Mr. Chirproadie that's only about two weeks, we're going to have to health him up!

We took the train back to Frankfurt day before yesterday. Mr. C was recovering from a bout of what we think is food poisoning so I went out shopping in Der Romer area again to see if I had to have anything I missed last time. Here is a picture for Dear Friend Steven. These two seiza benches were really comfortable - I tried both. They seem to be Maple or Ash. They are about 100 Euros each which at the current exchange rate is about $150. ACK! And they don't ship out of the country. They're made by a group in Munich. I found a man making benches in the US and one of his looks similar. The store these came from was a kind of generic meditation and statues of Buddha and Indian dieties. Very little stock spread out thinly with lots of bright lighting.


There are various stores of small wooden decorations. I really liked the streamlined Santas in this one.

I had to get one even tho I don't collect Christmas decorations. Ours has Santa taking his dog for a walk with a matching little red cap. Too cute!
Other Gnome-ish persons having fun.


A picture of a brass (I think) bunny for Dear Friends Michele and Evanne - bunny ladies and spinners extraordinaire.

Not sure what these are. You'd think birdhouses (but too low) or a place to put your mail? Google translation sites gave me alternately "lining house" and "fodder house."

This is the sign outside a hiking goods store that had the glorious orange shoes I drooled over.

Misc. attachments and decorations.

This is a sweet sweater in the window of a children's knitted and boiled wool clothing shop. This bunny has real bunny hair for his tail.



Lovely ironwork item with a healther basket in it to say welcome outside a restaurant.
I dearly wanted to add this creature to my beastly hens collection, but she was 59 Euros. so I had to bid her farewell. Yes, chicken bags are silly, but the chicken as a visual symbol is very homey and comforting.

These are shoes with knitted tops.

This was over a doorway.


And what's this, what's this? The Hammering Man! No, I haven't reached home yet...this is outside our hotel in Frankfurt. I didn't realize the Hammering Man is installed in nine different cities around the world.

And that's it for the overseas adventures! Just when I was getting used to swapping decimals and periods when writing out European currency too. I'll be down to a nice quiet 2-3 picture fiber blog publishing a couple-three times a week. Yippee! Thanks for hanging with me if you checked in to see the travels, and don't feel bad if you want to abandon ship for less Fibrous blogs of more interest to you.

2 Comments:

At 3:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely entry. Love your photos. Glad you're coming home. See you next week! Yea! Ar

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger Natasha said...

Some really cool stuff you found. The ornaments are so CUTE! and I love the shoes with knitted tops.

I believe that the "Futterhaus" is a bird feeder (just my guess). You place a dish of bird seed under the roof and then remove it when you need to refill. I have a friend who has something just like this in her garden and that's how she uses it. Hers is much taller to keep the cats out. I wonder if there isn't a cat issue in Germany???

See you next week : )

n

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines http://rpc.bloglines.com/blogroll?html=1&id=dimsware@gmail.com