Thursday, January 10, 2008

Holland is a Province

So let's see, I'm 57, and it took me until now to get that. The Netherlands is the country, and Holland is one of the provinces. Only took a Dutch friend and a guidebook combined to finally make the info take root. And Amsterdam is a city, in the province of Holland, in the Netherlands. Sheesh! Good thing to prepare just a bit to not look like a TOTAL fool and ugly American. 'Course Mr. Chirpsmartie could have TOLD me that - had I asked, but he has strung together so many bogus stories to fool me and make me laugh during our marriage, that I seldom believe him about anything.

The last of the pictures from Germany... These are shrubs outside the Frankfurt Marriott. Aren't the colors wonderful? Winter shrubs that give off color seem a fabulous thing. No one could tell me what they were.....even in German. Some of you gardeners extraordinaire will know, yes? TMK? Mom? Beryl?



If Frankfurt is any indication, Germany is a pretty darn clean place. I've always heard this about Germany but it was quite refreshing in person. I love these obvious recycling bins that are everywhere.


When we went to the train station, there was one of the newish "Smart Cars" parked in the lot. They are tiny and take up so little room - BUT - they have just enough room for two people and two dogs - even though it may not look like it. We've been considering getting one (car, AND yes - more dogs) when they start coming into the USA - and it looks like they're here (er...there), but the waitlist is still long.

Saw these shoes on my windowshopping extravaganza - they were out on the street and so terribly happy-looking! They were on sale only in a large men's size. Rats! Lucy Neatby would wear these shoes - I'm sure she would!

Been feeling bad since I sorta bashed Wolle Rodel for not being the be-all end-all of yarn stores. Not right of me. Yarn stores always need our support. Here's the sock yarn area:

And window displays.


And I'm real sorry I didn't say nicer things. It was a pretty opinionated entry all 'round, wasn't it!

I actually found a small bit of Feral knitting...

It was in the window of a very trendy clothing store. Here's a distressed felted jacket from the same place. Something about it makes me thing of my high school physiology class.
With one thread left in the middle of each cutout hole.
A few dribs and drabs of knitting in other windows.

The photo below is one of the many of the interesting churches in the old part of town called "Der Römer" (link is a picture). Not much in the way of older architecture like Der Romer is left in Frankfurt because around 79% of the city was bombed flat in WW2. And it's already a very flat place to start with.

I was surprised up close to see actual retail stores built onto the outside wall of the church.
I'm convinced train stations are good places - and look! I met this lovely Berner girl there and got to pat and make nice with her! I sure needed a doggie interlude. Mr. Chirpbellman had to stay put and watch the bags so he sent me running off to find her when she walked by.

It takes almost longer to post the pictures than it does to have the actual experiences. I won't be sad when I turn back into a quiet little fiber blog (pant, wheeeeze) with a few loyal readers and bribed relatives.

4 Comments:

At 8:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love this post! A Berner and a happy Goober! Any you, don't worry. Even when you're less than enthusiastic about a place/store you're not mean spirited ~ I don't recall you ever being that way.

 
At 10:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We miss you. Can't wait to see you again.

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger Natasha said...

My Dearest Linda...
I'm happy to be able to inform you that the lovely plants are all different type of Heathers. I wish mine looked that nice.

I've seen a couple of those Smart Car's around the Ballard and Fremont area. They are so cute, be even cuter with one of the Bernese pups riding in the back.

hugs,
n

 
At 1:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

el, Thanks for the Berner pic. She is a lovely lassie. Even tho I have 2 doggies I keep looking at puppy pictures. They are just so darned cute!!

Love ya, Ancora

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines http://rpc.bloglines.com/blogroll?html=1&id=dimsware@gmail.com