Friday, January 08, 2010

Damson XL

I finally finished the Damson XL shawl. XL because I wanted to make it big enough for DF Wendy to use as a nursing-in-public cover-up for places where they are uncomfortable with the amount of exposure it takes to nurse a baby. She and little Pete are doing so well and I can't wait to see him Sunday and how he's already changed!

Here he is at about 4 weeks. Cute City, eh?
And here he is at that age with the very petite Mom Wendy. I'm hoping the XL shawl won't be tent-like on her - but since the original was meant as a little shoulder shawl, perhaps it will be okay.
Here's the shawl blocking. It really is a lovely shape that won't fall off your shoulders. I did it all in garter rather than switching to stockinette at the double decrease points. Actually, the shawl had a mind of its own at those points and all eight of them stuck out like little ready-to-nurse appendages. Since I did it in bamboo instead of wool (so Mom and baby wouldn't get overheated) I hope they will block flat............Oh goody, seems they did.
I sure do love those EZ Blocking Boards, even if it really takes two to block anything bigger than a narrow-sized small sweater. You can kneel on them to pin, stand on them when they fill up the entire kitchen floor (at least at my current weight I can) and they are just amazingly strong - yet easy to carry around when you fold them in half and use the carrying handles.

Here's the confused dog, wondering why it's not okay to walk on the blocking shawl. (Her) "But? My water dish is over there." (Me) "No, I put your water dish at the entrance to the kitchen so you wouldn't need to walk on the shawl....in fact this is the third time you haven't needed to walk on the shawl." (Her) "Oh...."

The Damson shawl (Ravelry link) is by Isolda Teague. I'll tell all on my Ravelry projects page in a day or so about what I did to get the XL size, in case you are an XL size and might want to do it. My Ravelry name is "dims."

I was able to see Wendy on Sunday at Top Pot (doughnuts and coffee extraordinaire) with other knitters and give her the shawl at last. Alas, little Pete was not there - but Wendi seemed to like it. The Bamboo gives it a nice drape.
The evidence of the other sugar sniffers gathered together. They shall remain anonymous.
Should be enough to cover little Pete without making them both too hot.

Plenty of shawl to go around!
And look! It matches her cell....sorta....

Then I tried it on the lovely Diana so I could see if it really would fit a less-petite person than Wendi as a full shawl. Bad English there....


Looks like it's working.
I believe she's had enough of the picture-taking!

1 Comments:

At 2:54 PM, Blogger The socklady said...

Beautiful shawl.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines http://rpc.bloglines.com/blogroll?html=1&id=dimsware@gmail.com